Guide to Holiday Home Insurance

Coloured homesWith the holiday season in full swing it’s essential to make sure that you’ve got your property covered; or your dream holiday home could become your worst nightmare.

What is holiday home insurance?

Holiday home insurance is designed to provide peace of mind for anyone who owns a second property in the UK or overseas. It’s a flexible product which can cover a variety of exposures from Buildings and Contents to Public Liability and Emergency Travel. Holiday home insurance is a specialist product that demands a specialist provider who knows the marketplace inside-out.

Why do I need holiday home insurance?

Standard home insurance policies generally don’t provide cover for properties that are empty for more than 30 days, which by definition includes most holiday homes. Calculating insurance premiums is all about calculating risk and empty properties can be risky. Not only do they make tempting targets for thieves, but when things go wrong; repair bills can be sky high.  Left unnoticed a burst pipe or a leaky roof can cause thousands of pounds worth of water damage.

What key policy features should I expect?

Buildings Insurance Designed to cover the cost of rebuilding the property, rather than the current market value. Calculating rebuild costs can get complicated, especially if your holiday home is overseas, and you may be better off choosing a policy that offers ‘unlimited cover’.  Make sure that cover extends to outbuildings such as summerhouses and swimming pools.

Contents Insurance Whether your holiday home is a family getaway packed with antiques or a sparsely furnished rental property; the contents quickly add-up. Don’t cut corners by ‘guesstimating’ the overall value, instead take time to prepare an inventory for each room, otherwise you could get a nasty shock when it comes to making a claim. Better still choose a policy with ‘unlimited cover’ and ask about Accidental Damage.

Public Liability If you are planning on letting your property to paying guests it’s essential that you choose a policy which provides adequate Public Liability cover; otherwise you could find yourself  seriously out of pocket.

Emergency Travel Travelling abroad can be expensive at the best of times and it certainly doesn’t get any cheaper in an emergency.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Some brokers offer substantial discounts if you insure multiple properties (including your main residence) so it’s well worth asking. Remember that Terms and Conditions vary greatly between providers and it’s essential to read the small print. At Quoteline Direct we’ve got great deals on holiday home insurance both in the UK and abroad. So whether you’ve got a cottage in the Cotswolds or a villa in Valencia; we’ve got you covered.





Leave a Reply